Ground and grass textures
I spend the last days experimenting with visual styles for the ground textures. Here’s an in-game screenshot:
It works by layering a number of textures:
- Background color layer
- Perlin noise layer for some variation in background color
- Grass background layer filled with premade grass patches.
The patches are the most important part. I’m using 4 variations at the moment. When you blow one up it looks like this:
- Grass blade sprites, each sprite is rotated to face upwards.
- The background sprite.
- Copy of the background sprite, filled with a darker color and shifted down a few pixels to create a shadow effect.
- A transparent layer that blends the patch into the level background.
For placing the patches in the level I used an algorithm called Poisson disc sampling.